Saturday, July 9, 2016

Happy Crown Anniversary

It took awhile, but I finally found the marriage record of my ancestors, Patrick Crown and Ann Clancy in Clooneclare Parish, County Leitrim, Ireland on 9 July 1860.

I almost missed this record for two reasons:
  1. the spelling of the Crown surname. As I have suspected, the original spelling was Croghan (see previous post).
  2. this particular priest appears to have written what is normally a "C" as a "K" !!! So Croghan appears written as Kroghan and Clancy appears as Klancy. I don't have much explanation for that. Although the record is written in Latin, it wasn't, to my knowledge, a Latin rule to interchange the letters "K" and "C".....
I can't quite make out the witnesses to this marriage. The first seems to be Charles Meehan (Patrick's mother's family) and the second could be a Maria Clancy.

So here we are, 156 years later. Without Patrick and Ann, there would be no me blogging about Crown relations.... Patrick and Ann had five kids before leaving Ireland around 1870, including a set of twins. Only three of those five survived to adulthood:
  • Sarah Crown McDermott, who died shortly after giving birth to her first child
  • Richard and Charles, both, apparently, life-long bachelors.
Patrick and Ann never returned to Ireland (that we know of), and lived the rest of their lives in Brooklyn, NY, adding four more children to the family, two of whom survived:
  • John J. Crown - the first child of the next generation to be born in America, my g-grandfather, and
  • Annie Crown Connors, who also left many descendants.
Happy Anniversary to our gg-grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment