Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Non-Existent Crown Child

I've heard stories about how some genealogies contain names of people who never existed, and I always wondered how that could even be possible. But now I think I just caught myself in the very act! Here's how.

As I have long stated, Patrick Crown and Ann Clancy had six children before coming to America, among them two sets of twins, the last set born just before the emigration to NY. How do I know that? From the 1870 census of Flatbush which shows the six Irish-born Crown children: Richard, 10; Sarah, 6; Charles and Kate, 4; and John and Patrick, 1. Other interesting notes of this census are that Mrs. Clancy, 60, (probably Ann's mother, see previous post) seems to have been head of household, and Ann's husband, Patrick Crown, does not seem to be accounted for.

But now that many of the Irish records are coming online, I've been able to look up the birth records for those six Crown children born in Ireland, and lo, I found only five: Richard, Sarah, Charles, Kate, and John. Especially if John was a twin of Patrick, then the two would have been baptized and registered at the same time. But no, only John. How strange.

Going back to NY, I remembered that the Crown children who died young were named on the family gravestone at Holy Cross. Sure enough, there are the names Margaret, Catherine, John, and Manus "who died young." No Patrick. There is no doubt in my mind that if Patrick and Ann had a son named Patrick who died young, his name would have been included on that gravestone.

So! No birth record in Ireland for Patrick Crown born in 1869, nor mention of him on the family gravestone in Brooklyn. I am coming to the conclusion that there was never a child born to Patrick and Ann named Patrick. In that case, who was the Patrick Crown, age 1, enumerated on the 1870 census? I have no explanation other than error by the census-taker. Patrick Crown, the adult, was probably not home at the time of enumeration, but his name was mentioned. And with so many kids running (or crawling) around, were there five or were there six? The census said six, but there really were only five. Lesson learned: every single genealogical record found needs to be corroborated in some way.

So for our family record, I am removing the name of Patrick Crown, b. 1869, from the family tree of Patrick Crown and Ann Clancy. May this non-existent child RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment