Monday, June 5, 2023

Evidence of Honor

When looking at my current family group of Richard Crown Sr. and Sarah Meehan, I have these children:  John, Mary, Cormac, Bridget, Patrick, and Richard. But I have one more possible child of Richard Sr. and Sarah penciled in, a daughter named Honor Crown.  In 1875, a person named Honor Crown was a witness at the marriage of Martin Eams of Pollboy and Mary Quin of Morerah.  Pollboy and Morerah are Crown Central, at least in my branch of the family, and if Honor Crown was around 20 years old in 1875, making her birth around 1855 or before, then I believe Honor is a candidate as a daughter of Richard Sr. and Sarah, probably their youngest child.

Now after my recent visit to the Valuation Office in Dublin, I discovered that somebody named Anne Crown occupied some of the family property in Morerah.  I have no idea who that might have been, but then I remembered there are at least two examples in Crown genealogy where the same woman was referred to both by Honor and Anne, the second name being something of a nickname.  What if the Anne Crown seen in valuations of Morerah was the same person as Honor Crown, witness at a Eams-Quin marriage?  And given that the chain of occupiers on a property were next of kin of the original occupier, maybe we are looking at another daughter of Richard and Sarah Crown.

The evidence is now on the table to consider.  Click here to read more details about the Morerah valuations.  Because I can find no other record of an Anne Crown in Ireland, one who fits the time and place, I am imagining that she too might have emigrated, perhaps to America where other members of the family had gone.  Regardless, now we know to watch more for the trail of Anne Crown aka Honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment